This Italian style pulled pork is incredibly tender and couldn't be easier to make. Use the slow cooker method and dinner will be cooked by the time you walk in the door from work. It will keep in the fridge for up to 3 days or freezer for up to 6 months. Serve with potatoes and your favourite vegetables, or on a panini along with a dollop of salsa verde.
1.2-1.5kg pork shoulder or collar butt
6 garlic cloves, minced
1 tbsp fresh rosemary, finely chopped
1 tbsp fresh thyme, finely chopped
1 tbsp fresh sage, finely chopped
2 tbsp sea salt flakes
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 lemon, zest only
1 cup white wine
1 tsp chili flakes (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 160°C. Remove the skin from your pork roast and set aside.
- Combine all of the ingredients together, except for the white wine, and rub the marinade all over the pork.
- Heat a large ovenproof dish that has a tight fitting lid over medium/high heat. Brown the pork on all sides (roughly 1-2 minutes on each side). Remove the pork and set it aside.
- Add the wine to the pan to deglaze and scrape any brown bits with a wooden spoon. Place the pork back into the dish along with the skin and 1 cup of water.
- Put the lid on and cook for 3 hours. Check half way as you may need to add a little more water to the pan. Remove and discard the skin, or keep some in the pan. Shred it all together using two forks and mix through all of the juices.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper if needed.